Visit The Loue Valley...
Vuillafans is the starting point of many excursions and walks on well signed paths. The first easy one should take you to Chateauvieux-les-Fossés, one if not the smallest municipality in France with is castle, its quaint mairie, its chapel and the few stone houses.
Other walks include the valley of Vert-Vaux, Bief Noir, Hells Caves, the old salt route walk from Chateauvieux to Longeville along the cliff and the gorgeous walk from Longeville to L'Auberge du Moine in Rénédale. . A comprehensive walking map of the area can be obtained from the tourist office in Ornans.
If you want water activities do not forget to fish for the famous elusive trout in the Loue. ( you will need a daily or weekly card) You can also hire a canoe/kayak and glide down the river.
Canyoning, tennis, via ferrata, outing with alpagas are just some of the activities you may wish to discover according to your inclination.
Around Vuillafans you will discover :
- Ornans, sometimes called the « little Venise of Franche-Comté » birth town of the realist painter Gustave Courbet. Its recently opened museum attracts many tourists.
- Lods, amongst the classification « the msot beautiful villages of France ». Lods is built on the banks of he Loue and its steep winding lanes hide a trove of information including the Musée de la Vigne. The river is dotted with three small retaining barrages and the water is often lit up in summer.
- Mouthier Haute-Pierre dominated by an impressive escarpment (882m) and circled by cherry orchards and lovely meadows. Mouthier is famous for its kirsch and also boasts a lovely old church.
- The source of the Loue : worth a walking visit down a shady track
- Echevannes, a small hamlet on the plateau. Its tiny chapel overlooks the valley and offers a stuning lookout.
And there is much more to discover, up to your wandering eye to find it...